Re: Server Monitoring

  • From: Jonathan Disher
  • Date: Tue Nov 21 14:54:11 2000

We are primarily using RedAlert [www.redalert.com] for public-internet
monitoring.  That was set up before I joined the company.

Inside our cage, our NT folks have some NT boxes running SNMPc and
listening for traps from our load balancers, and I believe they're also
using some monitoring function of WebTrends.

For a setup with 50 webservers, 45 NT application servers, a mail server,
2 YP servers, 2 database servers, and matched pairs of Extreme switches,
Cisco 12008's, Alteon 180e's, and Arrowpoint CS150's, the combination of
RedAlert and WebTrends is keeping up decently.  At some point, we may add
another layer of monitoring with NetSaint, or bb if I can keep it from
pulverizing the host.

As others have pointed out, NetSaint is also a very good alternative.  I
was evaluating BigBrother, but it was beating the hell out of the machine
I was running it on.  Then again, so were the developers :/...

-j

--
-Jonathan Disher
-Systems and Network Engineer, Web Operations