Re: Operational impact of filtering SMB/NETBIOS traffic?

  • From: Bennett Todd
  • Date: Mon Nov 20 18:54:48 2000

2000-11-20-18:37:15 Mathew Butler:
> Are you going to provide consulting services -- for free -- when
> what the customer wants to do is not allowed because of your
> network filtering choices?

Are you going to provide consulting services -- for free -- when
nobody can do anything because the swarms of windows PCs that are
being burgled via worms propogating via SMB all start doing DDoS
attacks? Or even, when the numbers of them climb to the point where
simply their automnated scans for new victims succeed in melting
down your net?

If doing WIndows filesharing over the internet is the only job this
grand toy is here for, and it's so critical that you're willing to
sacrifice the whole thing to try and keep it limping along as long
as possible, then I suppose your stance makes some kind of sense.

Somehow I find that hard to believe.

Are you just trolling?

-Bennett