Re: ISPs as content-police or method-police

  • From: Valdis.Kletnieks
  • Date: Mon Nov 20 11:57:50 2000

On Mon, 20 Nov 2000 09:21:10 MST, Ehud Gavron said:
> It is clear (to me) that customers who get a connection
> to the net do NOT want that connection limited nor
> censored.

Unfortunately, it's NOT clear that this is the case.  The average customer
just THINKS they want something.  The question of whether it's something
actually reasonable to do is a different issue....

Remember - the *reason* this is a point worth discussing at *ALL* is because
such a large percentage of customers don't have a CLUE - if (for instance)
98% of the shops had enough clue to close down open shares, we'd not be seeing
so many scans for them.

I suspect that if a large percentage of Tier 1/2 carriers actually filtered
ports 137 through 139, we'd not be seeing anywhere near the amount of QAZ and
similar activity.  And as has been pointed out, you can ALWAYS punch a hole
in the filter for customers who like to live risky, or they can find other
ways to tunnel their packets.

--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Operating Systems Analyst