RE: Operational impact of filtering SMB/NETBIOS traffic?

  • From: Mathew Butler
  • Date: Mon Nov 20 07:20:25 2000

Title: RE: Operational impact of filtering SMB/NETBIOS traffic?

Ah, but here's the rub: Is there anything, from a business standpoint (read: contracts), that says that you have the right, much less the obligation, to make 'security' decisions for the customer?  If not, you're opening your company up to massive lawsuits.

It's a -very- touchy subject -- but I, as a customer, want exclusive right to make filtering decisions over what goes from my network to the peering point, where the other backbone providers can choose their own policy.  The reason for this is so that, if necessary, I can run any protocol I have a need to run over all circuits that I have that are connected to the same ISP.

If it is shown that my network is relaying spam traffic, or is otherwise abusing the precepts of "Maintain Control Over What Flows In To And Out Of Your Network", only -then- would I think that control should be exercised by the NSP, and only then to the extent necessary to stop the abuse.  And a hefty fine should be imposed on my company in that circumstance.

Or are you thinking that the only clueful people in the network world exist at the NSPs?

-Mat Butler