Re: Operational impact of filtering SMB/NETBIOS traffic?

  • From: Mike Johnson
  • Date: Sun Nov 19 21:56:46 2000

First, I want to apologize for my terms.  I did not mean dial-up
accounts and customers.  I'm talking about leased-line accounts.

Stephen J. Wilcox [[email protected]] wrote:
> Since we started filtering netbios ports and packets directed to network
> or broadcast addresses from and to our modems our inbound abuse reports
> has virtually stopped.. and a look at the security logs shows hundreds of
> people simultaneously port scanning netbios ports. So far no one had
> complained about problems.. I dont think many people in reality use the
> internet for smb in its basic form, its normally businesses who might need
> it and assuming they're sensible they will be using vpn tunnels anyway.

[snip]

> Does that help you understand the argument, I think smb is a source of
> much hassle and is virtually never used legitimatly and better off blocked
> from our abuse mailbox point of view!

I do understand the argument better.  Thanks to you and all the others
that responded.

However, I would like to understand if leased line (and co-lo) providers
also filter.  I certainly can understand filtering dial-up customers,
but do y'all (or are y'all considering) doing any filtering on the
dedicated connection front?  That's a general 'y'all' out to NANOG,
by the way.

Thanks for all the responses.  I do have a better grasp on part of the
reasoning.

Mike
--
Mike Johnson