Re: Operational impact of filtering SMB/NETBIOS traffic?

  • From: Shawn McMahon
  • Date: Sun Nov 19 07:56:28 2000

On Sat, Nov 18, 2000 at 08:19:12PM -0800, Roeland Meyer wrote:

> because we want shares. You are considering killing off a whole bunch of
> legitimate use because some are too brain-dead to not have unintentional
> shares on the internet?

There are other issues with Microsoft's networking protocols than just
unintentional shares.  It leaks potentially lethal information like a sieve.

Letting it willy-nilly through your firewalls is an invitation to have
compromised hosts on your network.

It should be filtered by default, and only un-filtered by request; and that
with the understanding that if it even looks like you might be owned, you get
cut off until there's an explanation.