NANOG isn't NANOG anymore

  • From: Craig Klingler
  • Date: Sun Nov 19 07:50:49 2000

I'm working with a Japanese Company and for the first time realize what it
means to say the Internet is Global.  This company has a Tier 1 domestic
backbone in Japan (covering the country of Japan and connecting to the
Japanese major peering points).  They also have partial ownership in
undersea cables (fiber)that extend from Japan to the United States and Japan
to the UK.  So bandwidth and networking  are not the problem.  I'm sure my
information is dated, but at one point I thought that 80% of all Internet
traffic gets switched in the United States.  Now, having studied the traffic
patterns for our Japanese company and how much of the traffic stays in
country, I would say I need to see some more data.  But, I think I can
safely say the United States handles the "lions share" of the global IP
traffic, and will continue to do so until distributing hosting and caching
make an impact.

However, The NA in NANOG shouldn't apply any more.  Political issues aside,
at least ICANN saw fit to established three governing bodies for naming,
ARIN, RIPE/NCC and APNIC.  I write this more of an appeal, as this Japanese
company wants to establish peering (not transit) in the US, and although by
name, I recognize many of the "good old boys" in the Internet Tier 1
Backbone discussions, I am not one of them.  I have read this list for some
time now, but this is my first post.  I have seen conversations ranging from
graduate school discussions to school yard scuffles, so I am ready for my
share of daggers.  My question is, how does the Internet get opened up to
new International companies, such as the one I am working for?  I know this
has been tried before via Savvis and a recent group that I know Exodus is
part of.  I also recognize there is as much brilliance in NANOG as there is
sarcasm.  If this was a business issue, the suits would have made their
zillions and moved on, which is why I'm writing NANOG.

Thank You,

Craig Klingler
[email protected]