RE: Operational impact of filtering SMB/NETBIOS traffic?

  • From: Roeland Meyer
  • Date: Sun Nov 19 05:40:16 2000

You are assuming (wrongly) that microshit is the only one using that
protocol. Have you never heard of the samba project? I remember explicitly
referencing smb.conf files. That's Unix/Samba bud. I also mentioned that it
works better than NFS. I don't recall microshit-anything shipping with NFS.
Believe it or not, one or two of us actually know what we're doing.

> geez, if the filter was there, are you saying that people who
> _need_ SMB
> shares are too brain-dead to come up with a straight forward
> way to make
> it get around the filter?

There is no straight-forward way around a filter, by definition the
straight-forward way is to not have the filter!