Re: Any "standard" name for ISP time services?

  • From: Stephen Sprunk
  • Date: Fri Nov 17 02:12:11 2000

Thus spake <[email protected]>
> I'm currently composing a note to a software house, which is asking
for
> permission to list some of our NTP servers in their software's config
files.
> Before I do that, is there any "standard" for ISP's for naming their
> hosts that provide time service on ports 13, 37, or 123?  Even if it's
> a list of "AOL users should try 'time.aol.com' first" rules, that
might
> be an improvement....

It used to be that "tick" and "tock" were the common aliases for a pair
of Stratum 2 NTP servers.  "truechimer" was the recommended alias for a
Stratum 1 NTP server.

In recent years, people seem to have moved to "ntp1", "ntp2", etc. in
the same way they use "ns1", "ns2", etc. for DNS servers.

I personally dislike the latter trend and prefer the more colorful
names.

     |          |         Stephen Sprunk, K5SSS, CCIE #3723
    :|:        :|:        Network Design Consultant, GSOLE
   :|||:      :|||:       New office: RCDN2 in Richardson, TX
.:|||||||:..:|||||||:.    Email: [email protected]