Re: Any "standard" name for ISP time services?

  • From: Valdis.Kletnieks
  • Date: Thu Nov 16 15:38:45 2000

On Thu, 16 Nov 2000 12:14:59 PST, you said:
> http://www.ucop.edu/irc/wp/wp_Reports/wpr008/wpr008_Wasley.html
> suggests using ntp.foo.com or nettime.foo.com

Yes, but does 'ntp.aol.com' or 'ntp.mindspring.com' or.... you get the idea
actually *work* in The Real World?

I am *NOT* looking for a list of "what I use" or similar - the question is
a resource location problem.  For a piece of shareware that could be on *any*
machine in the Internet, is it worth trying 'ntp.<my-isp-here>.com', or similar?

I've heard back from a guy at Exodus (thanks!! ;) regarding their scheme.

Yes, I know many domains have a 'clock' or 'time' or 'clepsydra' or similar.

Maybe what's NEEDED here is a DHCP option.. that would help. ;)

--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Operating Systems Analyst