Re: 10.x.x.x networks

  • From: Eliot Lear
  • Date: Wed Nov 15 19:23:37 2000

Michael Long wrote:
> I've been having a friendly arguement with some friends at work about
> wheather it's right or wrong to use 10.255.255.0/24 for a network.
> Technically it should work, but during our conversations we keep coming
> back to best practiced IP schemes. I'm wondering what others think about
> this. Is using 10.255.255.0/24 and possibly the reverse 10.0.0.0/24 bad
> practice?

Although this should work, I would recommend that before someone use
either of these addresses (and in particular 10.0.0.0/24) please
consider how many other networks with that address exist.  Without
getting into the whole renumbering argument again on nanog (#include
<flame.h>), if you are able to choose a portion of 10/8 space with some
amount of randomness you can reduce the potential for conflicts in those
cases where two private networks need to merge.
--
Eliot Lear
[email protected]