Qwest to pay $350 million for fiber cut( Re: PSINet outage?)

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Wed Nov 15 17:54:10 2000

On Wed, 15 November 2000, [email protected] wrote:
> Is anybody else hearing about PSINet having a major outage that is
> affecting Internet and e-mail traffic all along eastern seaboard? MS

It was a fiber cut.

And carriers are getting very serious about fiber cuts.  In Austin a
jury ordered Qwest to pay over $350 million to AT&T for repeatedly
cutting a fiber optic line.

http://biz.yahoo.com/apf/001115/cut_cable_.html

Also, I'll be moderating a panel at the Underground Damage Prevention
conference at the end of November in Boston with representatives from
a couple of carriers on protecting against Internet fiber cuts.

http://www.damageprevention.com/

If any carriers have a story about what a great job they are doing, I
would love to include a mention of it at the panel.  I have lots of
horror stories, but I would love to announce some successes.  So far
the only success story I have is from Sprint, who had 61 fiber cuts
last year, but only one of them affected traffic.

http://www3.sprint.com/PR/CDA/PR_CDA_Press_Releases_Detail/1,1694,857,00.html

If you are doing something great, I want to mention it.