Re: [doable?] peer filtering (was Re: Trusting BGP sessions)

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Wed Nov 15 17:19:48 2000

On Wed, 15 November 2000, john heasley wrote:

> great, that must be why these problems dont occur.  which solution are
> you using?  i'm not flinging s*[email protected] over the fence; i'm truely interested.

If the problem is truely no router vendor make a router capable of
holding a fully filtered route table we need to tell the router vendors
this is a mandatory requirement or we won't buy their routers.  Remember,
once upon a time when no router could handle more than 30,000 routes or
64,000 routes.  Once the router vendors were told what was needed, they
built a box to meet that need.

It is not a given that no router will never support filtering a full
tier-1 ISP's route table.  Its just no one has made it a requirement.

Lets make it a requirement of the router vendors.