Re: Operational impact of filtering SMB/NETBIOS traffic?

  • From: batz
  • Date: Tue Nov 14 17:23:55 2000

On Tue, 14 Nov 2000, Scott Call wrote:

:Because this traffic is IP traffic, I wanted to ask others on this list
:how they treat SMB traffic on their backbones?

Though I have never worked on a backbone or ISP that did that, it might
make sense to do it, and if someone has a problem, tell them to set up
a pptp connection to their destination.

Hrm, if microsoft is going to start multiplexing protocols to get past
firewalls (DCOM et al..) maybe ISP's should insist users only use certain
other protocols through an authenticated/encrypted tunnel? ;)
Tit for tat, I say.

Marcus Ranum had an interesting comment/platitude a while ago which was
"de-muliplex HTTP!". This was in response to how vendors (one in particular)
tunnel so much over http, which causes a number of access-control/security
problems that break our attempts to add some semblance of security to IP
networks. Maybe some protocols are only fit for VPNs?

I say do it. However, you'll probably have to make a better business case for
it than "Er.."batz" told me to.."

--
batz
Reluctant Ninja