Re: Operational impact of filtering SMB/NETBIOS traffic?

  • From: JIM FLEMING
  • Date: Tue Nov 14 15:59:49 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: Bill Woodcock <[email protected]>
To: Scott Call <[email protected]>
Cc: <[email protected]>
Sent: Tuesday, November 14, 2000 2:32 PM
Subject: Re: Operational impact of filtering SMB/NETBIOS traffic?

>     > Because this traffic is IP traffic, I wanted to ask others on this
list
>     > how they treat SMB traffic on their backbones?
>
> We've asked all customers, and nearly all of those have had us go ahead
> and filter it inbound into their tailcircuits.  Some we're also filtering
> outbound, again at the tailcircuit.  A few have asked for exceptions for
> some home or branch offices, but that hasn't gotten unmanageable yet.
> Most of the ones with complicated remote-access needs use GRE.

Yes, all people really need from the IPv4 global transport is the basic,
transparent, end-to-end transport of packets with IP (not TCP or UDP)
headers, without disturbing the TOS field...with that, we can evolve...

Jim Fleming
http://www.unir.com/images/architech.gif
http://www.unir.com/images/address.gif
http://www.unir.com/images/headers.gif