Re: Operational impact of filtering SMB/NETBIOS traffic?

  • From: Bill Woodcock
  • Date: Tue Nov 14 15:40:24 2000

    > Because this traffic is IP traffic, I wanted to ask others on this list
    > how they treat SMB traffic on their backbones?

We've asked all customers, and nearly all of those have had us go ahead
and filter it inbound into their tailcircuits.  Some we're also filtering
outbound, again at the tailcircuit.  A few have asked for exceptions for
some home or branch offices, but that hasn't gotten unmanageable yet.
Most of the ones with complicated remote-access needs use GRE.

                                -Bill