Re: UUNET security contacts

  • From: Chris Kilbourn
  • Date: Tue Nov 14 12:40:08 2000

At 2:33 PM +0100 11/14/00, Simon Leinen wrote:
"dh" == David Harmelin <[email protected]> writes:
Does anybody have a security-related email address at UUNET, which
is actually read by a human?
The procedure is to call them on the phone (24/7 support), as has been
explained recently on this mailing list:

http://nic.merit.edu/mail.archives/html/nanog/msg05535.html

Since you're a direct customer of UUnet this should definitely work.
I would beg to differ. It didn't work for us last Thursday night.

We (well, one of my folks called,) during a ping flood from
another UUNet customer, and were soundly rebuffed by the UUNet
rep on the other end of the line.

What burns me is that we are a direct, paying customer of UUNet
*and* the other end of the attack was a customer of theirs also.

Contrary to the rhetoric on the list from Chris, we did not get
the help we were supposed to get during this event.

And we followed the procedures...

(And don't even get me started about trying to switch your contact
email address for outages/service announcements from UUnet, or I'll
really get upset.)

Regards,

Chris
Chris Kilbourn                           Phone:   +1.425.483.0483
President / CTO                            Fax:   +1.425.482.6871
digital.forest, Inc.                where Internet solutions grow
19515 North Creek Parkway, Suite 314      http:    www.forest.net
Bothell, WA 98011                        email: [email protected]
   We're Hiring!  http://www.forest.net/about/employment.html