Re: 11/11/00 Internet Routing Problems

  • From: John Fraizer
  • Date: Mon Nov 13 16:11:08 2000

On Mon, 13 Nov 2000, Randy Bush wrote:

> > How hard is it to type:
> > "show ip bgp neighbor N.N.N.N advertised-routes"
> > ...and verify that you're not leaking crap like that whenever you make a
> > change?  Isn't that one of the questions on the Clue++ exam?
>
> in this case, i suspect the sequence was
>   o customer asks to have prefix length filter lengthened
>   o change is made
>   o routing is checked and looks ok
>   o engineer goes on holiday
>   o days later, customer's customer starts to leak garbage
>
> imiho, so much for relaxing route filters
>
> randy

We'll relax filters for accepting announcements from customers but as for
passing them to the global internet, that's a different story.  We filter
at the /24 boundry, period, the end on announcements to peers.  Doesn't
everybody?  If not, why would you want to propagate more specific than /24
globally?

---
John Fraizer
EnterZone, Inc