Re: MCI WORLDCOM TO PAY $3.5 MILLION

  • From: Wayne Bouchard
  • Date: Mon Nov 13 14:26:56 2000

On Sun, Nov 12, 2000 at 08:55:12PM -0500, Mark Mentovai wrote:

> Sean Donelan wrote:
> >Is this the only thing which will get major carrier's attention.  It
> >would be great if carriers could be trusted to correctly verify IP
> >addresses before announcing them.  But as we've seen in the long-distance
> >world, too many carriers act as if they can get an extra buck, they'll
> >do what every they need to do.
>
> The drive to "slam" is pushed by dollars.  I can't think of any situation in
> which someone might profit from announcing address space without
> authorization.  The problems facing the Internet are mostly due to laziness
> and lack of clue, enabled by an experimental infrastructure designed to
> support neither of these things.  IP assumes non-hostile, non-lazy, and
> non-clueless nodes.

With respect to "converting customers", no its not going to
happen. The technology operates differently. However, there have been
instances where a company just started using a block of reserved IP
space (squatting) hoping that, after a while, if it wasn't noticed,
the courts would decide that its really theirs. In this case, I think
the various *NICs should inject reserved space into the routing table
such that things like this can't happen. I can see various fines
resulting from this type of abuse.

Wayne Bouchard                                    [Immagine Your    ]
[email protected]                                      [Company Name Here]
Network Engineer
http://www.typo.org/~web/resume.html