Re: MCI WORLDCOM TO PAY $3.5 MILLION

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Mon Nov 13 09:43:46 2000

There are several, off the top of my head

    Bay Area DDoS Working Group
    BORG
    Commercial Internet Exchange
    Internet Engineering Task Force
    IOPS
    IPEG
    ISP/Consortium
    Information Technology Association of America
    North American Network Operators Group
    Cross-Industry Working Team (XIWT)

Being a member of a consortium is different from contributing to or
following any recommendation of a consortium.  I don't think yet another
consortium is the answer.  I believe this has fundamentally become a
management issue (and their legal advisors).  Unless and until the various
provider's senior management believe this will substantially affect their
business, nothing will happen.

For the last five years, I've been in favor of a technical solution. I've
changed my position, and believe the Sprint engineers were correct.  It is
not a technical problem, and the engineers can't fix it.

There are three basic methods to make it in their business interest
   1) Public pressure
   2) Government pressure
   3) Legal pressure

If Sprint faced a $1 million fine everytime they blackholed someone else's
routes, perhaps they would fix their processes.