Re: MCI WORLDCOM TO PAY $3.5 MILLION

  • From: Daniel L. Golding
  • Date: Sun Nov 12 21:50:43 2000

Sean,

In my experience, most of these "ambulance chasers" find their victims
after a post has occured to a list such as this, which sales folks do
monitor.

I think it's important to draw a distinction between:

1) NOCs that are too ill-trained to open a trouble ticked from a
non-customer. (and there are many)

2) NOCs that stall on solving non-customer problems that they should own,
then turn around and give a lead to sales. (which I honestly have never
seen).

#2 is unforgivable. #1 isn't good, but somewhat forgivable. Why? Because
it's very difficult for a NOC to operate properly when getting calls from
folks who aren't customers or peers, because as a NOC or call center
scales, it's hard to decentralize the judgement necessary to determine if
a ticket should be opened by a specific non-customer/peer caller. The
number of calls from semi-clueless customers of downstream providers far
overwhelmes the number of calls from clueful victims of blackholes,
attacks, etc. It's hard to train call center folks for this, so many
providers take the easy way out, and make blanket rules about
non-customers. I don't endorse this approach, and my employer certainly
does not subscribe to it. But it's fairly common.

- Dan Golding