Re: Defeating DoS Attacks Through Accountability

  • From: Mark Prior
  • Date: Sun Nov 12 00:28:19 2000

     > Not so fast, there are situations when you are authorized to have a certain
     > chunk of address space but elect not to advertise it a certain way for
     > whatever reason.  Maybe someone has a pipe that they want to use for
     > outbound traffic only and they don't want to use it at all inbound traffic,
     > and as a result, they don't advertise their routes across it.  What
     > justification do you use for dropping traffic that falls into this category?

     It's a general principle.

     Anyhow, they're going to get damned little inbound traffic unless they
     announce a route for it to *someplace*.   I think the original *general*
     policy was "If we don't have ANY route for it, we don't accept the traffic",
     which sort of makes sense - how would you get through a TCP 3-way handshake
     if the SYN+ACK always got back a ICMP Host Unreachable?  I saw no requirement
     that the routing not be assymetric, only that routing exist.

     I'm sure Mark Prior will correct me if I mis-read him... ;)

Actually since we use "ip verify unicast reverse-path" we expect the
route to come from the same place as the traffic.

Mark.