Re: Fire protection in ISPs and collocation facilities

  • From: Mauro Lollo
  • Date: Mon Nov 06 12:42:27 2000

In my experience, I belive I'd agree with the USAF statement. In any fires that I've seen in or around data centre facilities, it has usually started outside of the actual equipment itself, with ancillary systems and other materials. (this has been mostly in enterprise settings, as opposed to ISP / Co-lo)

I've just about completed a new facility with both FM200 gas (above & below floor) and pre-action (dry-pipe) water with misting heads as a secondary. My biggest fire hazard concern is the electrical system and
electrical/communications cabling within the facility. We've probably all seen the bad practice of storing combustible materials within the
environment itself (paper manuals, boxes, etc).

I've also developed a great amount of respect for compressed gas
extinguishing systems (FM200, etc.). About three years ago I saw the
aftermath of a service person refilling a cylinder, when the neck of the valve broke. The 600lb cylinder went off like a torpedo (kind of like letting go of a ballon).....broke loose of its mounting an took off through the room, ramming several cabinets and blasting through floor tiles. The guy servicing it (the only person in the room at the time) actually survived, the cylinder brushed him as it took off and dislocated his arm. The data centre looked like a war zone when I walked into it....the force of the thing was incredible.

M.