RE: Fire protection in ISPs and collocation facilities

  • From: Roeland Meyer
  • Date: Mon Nov 06 00:31:36 2000

Simple rule, make sure that you're upstream and the down-stream end has more
bandwidth than the up-stream end. It's kind of the reverse of the internet.
In the event that the inflow exceeds the outflow, hit the SCRAM switch
before you fry something. This is the main reason I have it (SCRAM), but I'm
damned if I can justify it for that reason. It's a lot easier to talk about
fire. It should be left in the Fire codes.

What are the four seasons in California? Earthquake, Drought, Fire, and
Flood. You've no doubt heard about the "Oakland Hills Fire" but no one has
ever talked about the mud-slides, in the Winter following the "Oakland Hills
Fire", caused by the ground-cover being burnt off. In fact, no one hears
much about California flooding. That's because it is a natural part of the
ecology here and not as sexy as earthquakes and brush fires.