Re: Fire protection in ISPs and collocation facilities

  • From: Marshall Eubanks
  • Date: Sun Nov 05 22:13:05 2000

"Howard C. Berkowitz" wrote:

> At 5:56 PM -0800 11/4/2000, Sean Donelan wrote:
> >
> >But back to my original question.  What is the real fire risk for
> >ISPs and collocation operators.  Is it burned buttered popcorn in the
> >microwave setting off the FM-200 system?  Is it home-made computers?
> >Is it the Emergency Power Off switch?
> >
> >State Farm Insurance has started a project to change the National Electrical
> >Code for computer rooms and the requirement for an EPO switch.  Is this
> >something other ISPs and collocation providers would be interested in
> >seeing changed?  If so, we need to collect data and evidence to support
> >the change.
>
> Perhaps it's worth observing that fire is but one of the classic
> Elemental Forces, and I've personally had far more problems with
> water than with fire.  In my experiences, the water came from
> firefighting elsewhere in the building, but several instances of CO
> flooding and the like have been mentioned in recent posts--New
> Rochelle (?) AT&T vs. Verizon?
>
> While I doubt it's practical to develop exhaustive water protection
> measures to guard against large-scale flooding, unless there's a move
> to convert surplus submarines to colo centers, I'd like to see the
> fire protection code be more exhaustive about diverting water away
> from unaffected faciities.

In Fairfax and Loudon Counties here in Virginia, fire codes require
water for fire suppression (you can use other means, but you have to
have water). So all the co-lo and exchange facilities here have
pressurised water fire suppression. I have been surprised at how many
of these do not have DRAINS for the water.
In my real estate experience, whenever you have
the possibility of water release, you will eventually HAVE water
release. With no drains, that means you will have
to move the equipment out to get the water out...

                                   Regards
                                   Marshall Eubanks

   Multicast Technologies, Inc.
   10301 Democracy Lane, Suite 201
   Fairfax, Virginia 22030
   Phone : 703-293-9624          Fax     : 703-293-9609
   e-mail : [email protected]     http://www.on-the-i.com