Re: DoS attacks, NSPs unresponsiveness

  • From: Simon Lyall
  • Date: Sat Nov 04 02:10:19 2000

On Thu, 2 Nov 2000, Joe Shaw wrote:
> > routing being desired, in many cased, it IS desired.
>
> I'm looking for actual examples.  If you have some, I'd love to here
> them.  There has only been one time in the past where I actually
> wanted asymetrical routing, and it certainly took some work to make
> traffic flow that way.  I'm not saying don't allow it to happen, just make
> it the default not to allow traffic you're not specifically routing.

90-something percent of our network is asymetrical routing, we provide
satellite bandwidth to around 100 ISPs in Australia and New Zealand (and
our own direct customers).

A small ISP might have a 128k leased wire to a local telco, the buy a dish
and a computer with a PCI card and we can provide them with a few hundred
kb/s of bandwith. The network is advertised at our US uplink site,
transmitted and received by them, outgoing packets go via their local
telco. They may advertise their network only for Australian traffic or
even not at all.

You can even do the same for home customers. There are at least 3 other
largish providers doing the same in the Australian market, perhaps
totalling 20-40% (rough guess) of total bandwidth into the country.

When costs of circuits (the charge change per megabyte of traffic on
those circuits) are high you have to do various tricks to keep expenses to
a minimum. It's not like in the US where you have a dozen providers you
can just order random OCn's from.

--
Simon Lyall.                |  Newsmaster  | Work: [email protected]
Senior Network/System Admin |              | Home: [email protected]