Re: If the network is always down, how come I can post a message

  • From: Alex Bligh
  • Date: Fri Nov 03 10:18:20 2000

Sean,

This is because the phone system is considered down when the subscriber
can dial no numbers. The internet is considered down when you can't
reach any particular web site (or collection thereof). If people
can't reach a given company by phone they say 'their phone line is
down'. I have given up counting the number of times I have spent
trying to dial the US from the UK and got fast busy (or worse).

--
Alex Bligh
VP Core Network, XO Communications - http://www.xo.com/