Re: DoS attacks, NSPs unresponsiveness

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Fri Nov 03 04:52:45 2000

On Thu, 02 November 2000, Hank Nussbacher wrote:
> We can write as many RFCs and BCPs as we want and discuss this item again
> and again - the truth is - nothing we say or do will make a difference
> until the government creates regulation on the matter.  The same way every
> phone company has to run a 911 number in event of emergencies, so too must
> ISPs provide an [email protected] email address that not only gives an
> auto-reply but actually has people behind it to handle the problem.

People from at least three different US Government agencies have asked
me if there is a need for government intervention in this precise area,
either full-blown laws and regulations; or nudging such as including it
in GSA and other government contracts (i.e. like the drug-free workplace
requirements if you want to bid on a government contract).

I'm old enough to remember the AUP NSF days (and I walked to school in
the snow, up hill both ways).  I'm afraid if we go down this path, the
intervention won't be limited.