Re: DoS attacks, NSPs unresponsiveness

  • From: Ariel Biener
  • Date: Thu Nov 02 21:36:40 2000

On Thu, 2 Nov 2000, dies wrote:

  Actually, I was thinking of taking a slightly different path.

1). ISPs (downstreams) responsibilities:

1a). Active and clueful NOC.
1b). Proper implementation of Internet RFCs (private networks and
     spoofing).
1c). Proper BGP filtering towards upstream.
1d). Running routing software adequate to today's challenges (for example,
     something that can deal properly with small fragments...).

2). NSPs (upstreams, tier1/2) responsibilities:

2a). Active and clueful abuse department.
2b). Monitoring tools that will allow tracking down a stream throghout
     their own backbone, and cooperation with their peers to get to the
     source. With a handful of cluefull people, and a set of autmatic
     tools, this IMHO is something at hand.
2c). Proper BGP filtering of their customers, to not allow their customers
     to fuck-up Internet routing (Sprintlink incidents...).

The main idea is that downstreams make sure they are not very susceptable
to abuse. Then, if attacked, the upstream provider should cooperate in
detecting the source, by monitoring their own network, and cooperating
with it's peers. If for any reason, it takes more than X hours, the
upstream provider should try to protect it's customers. Usually, it wont,
and the attacker will be indentified, and shut down at it's source.

There is no requirement that tier1/2 NSPs tie up their equipment into an
ACL monster. What is needed is cooperation. With proper cooperation,
identifying a stream's source is much easier that you may think.

Do you find the above so hard to do ?  All it requires is some
professional attitude, and a bit more cooperation and consideration from
NSPs and ISPs as one, what happens to someone you don't know today may
happen to you tomorrow !

Thoughts ?

--Ariel

--
Ariel Biener
e-mail: [email protected]           Work phone: 03-6406086