RE: Security on a home DSL Line

  • From: Roeland Meyer
  • Date: Thu Nov 02 20:28:07 2000

The common answer is to install Linux/Unix/FreeBSD and build a firewall.
However, I have recently been surveying the market for DSL gateways. Guess
what, ALL of them include some sort of firewall capability and the LinkSys
product even includes a 5-way switch ... for under $300! Then there are
always Ascend/Lucent Pipeline 130's which includes a router and can gateway
ISDN, IDSL, Cable, and DSL. I have a friend that hangs an entire /24 behind
one of them.

Setting up a host may be a fun excersize, but something that runs with the
reliability of a toaster is better, in my view. With the host, you always
have the tinker-factor to contend with.