Re: Security on a home DSL Line

  • From: David Charlap
  • Date: Thu Nov 02 19:21:54 2000

"J. Gilmore" wrote:

> I'm looking to beef up security on a home DSL line.  Currently I am
> using ZoneAlarm (the freeware version).
>  I'm thinking of taking an old Pentium 120, and setting that up as a
> firewall, but wanted to know if anyone else had a better idea.

That's what I do with my home LAN.  I set up an old  486 (which I had
lying around doing nothing anyway) with two Ethernet cards and Linux on
the hard drive.  I use the built-in IPCHAINS facility to set up firewall
rules.  It's not terribly fast, but fast enough to do line-rate at the
speed of my 256K SDSL line.

-- David