Re: DoS attacks, NSPs unresponsiveness

  • From: Valdis.Kletnieks
  • Date: Thu Nov 02 11:24:07 2000

On Thu, 02 Nov 2000 09:58:25 CST, J Bacher said:
> Wonderful.  The problem has been identified.  But, other than
> foot-stomping, I haven't seen any solutions to correct it.
>
> The "we'll pull the plug" attitude won't work unless absence of said
> filtering violates that ISP's upstream AUP or contract.

Yes, but sometimes...

> 4) Disseminate the document through other appropriate mailing lists or
> newsgroups.

> It's completely pointless to identify a problem without also identifying
> possible solutions or working toward correcting the problem.

Myself and some co-workers have been involved in this..

http://www.sans.org/dosstep/index.htm
http://www.sans.org/topten.htm

Both go down to the "Install *this* patch" or "use *this* command" level.

And it's amazing how many sites simply *WILL NOT* do it unless forced to.

Enlightened altruism still exists in scattered pockets of the Internet, but
vast wastelands are managed by people and organizations that either don't
care or are unable to budget resources to act until the bits actually stop
moving from place to place.
--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Operating Systems Analyst