Re: RADWare Linkproof? (or better ways to multihome)

  • From: John Fraizer
  • Date: Wed Nov 01 19:50:25 2000

On Wed, 1 Nov 2000, Barton F. Bruce wrote:

> You could always use a 2620 or 2621 with their internal 1 or 2 fast
> ethernet ports and then use an external VLAN savvy switch to get as many
> more as you need.

Um, you've got a 26xx series Cisco taking multiple full views?  (The
subject does say "or better ways to multihome".)

> Use one switch port for the 802.1q vlan trunk, and set each other switch
> port to be in a seperate vlan. Create subinterfaces on the router for
> each, and use the vlan number as the .<whatever> subinterface number for
> simplicity.

This works fine until you run out of packet overhead on that trunk
interface.

> If getting the 7206, realise that there is now a dual 10/100 option for
> the I/O controller card as well as a gig-e/10meg dual port I/O card
> option. It is less $ than the PA-GE card. The gig-e can do VLANS, too.
> DON'T get the PA card with dual 100 meg as it isn't designed for full
> speed.
>
> Also consider the 300 processor as obsolete now with the 400 at the same
> price. I wonder why the 400 is less $ than the NSE-1, too.

Also realize that you can build a PC router with multiple OC3 and GE
ports, loads of memory and faster processor(s) for less than 1/2 the cost
of the 7206 chassis naked.

Ours has been more stable that the Cisco gear (72xx and 75xx) it is
connected to.

---
John Fraizer
EnterZone, Inc