Re: UO slashdotted

  • From: hardie
  • Date: Fri Oct 27 13:58:45 2000

http://slashdot.org is a geek-oriented news page.  They have many,
many readers and the "Slashdot effect" is a common short hand for the
effect of sudden popularity on the infrastructure serving a particular
piece of content.  They have linked to the URL to the Carnivore
presentation from NANOG20 http://videolab.uoregon.edu/nanog/carnivore/.

The ftp service for the mpeg files and the iptv players is no longer
available, and I infer that the mass of slashdot readers trying to
grab a 382mb file is the reason.  Sorry if my shorthand for the
event was confusing,
			regards,
				Ted