Re: Route Registry: who uses them?

  • From: Charles Sprickman
  • Date: Wed Oct 25 19:59:36 2000

On Wed, 25 Oct 2000, Kevin Oberman wrote:

> Detail? All you REALLY need is an AS macro defining what ASes you
> provide transit for, a maintainer object to allow updates to other
> objects, an inet-rtr object telling the route servers who
> to talk to and whether to add the RS AS to the path or not, and a
> record for each prefix you announce. The aut-num object is a good
> idea, but I don't use it to generate policy, so I don't really care if
> it is there. I use it most for troubleshooting. Since we are
> non-commercial, we are probably more willing than most to disclose the
> details of our peerings.

And if you haven't been to radb.net lately, the How-To's are an excellent
place to start.  There is also a new java tool to send objects in or edit
objects if you prefer pointing and clicking.  I was able to move to pgp
auth on our objects in about 15 minutes using the directions posted on the
site.

All in all, I found it pretty painless to register our info.  We don't
publically peer with anyone (yet), but it seemed like a good idea to put
all the info on our AS in the radb and give people another place to find
up-to-date contact information.

In other words, I see no reason *not* to register your AS, maintainer and
route objects there...

Charles