Re: whois breakage

  • From: Omachonu Ogali
  • Date: Tue Oct 24 13:05:22 2000

Not necessarily breakage, but I would assume it's a problem (or feature)
in someone's regular expression matching patterns, since it looks for
any
entry that contains the specified string if it doesn't end in
'.anything',
in other words, "it's the result of a 'loose grep'". And if you're using
anything automated based off of results from whois.internic.net, then
you
should be checking for multiple entries, i.e. domains that use their
domain name as a nameserver resulting in 2 entries, (example:
netsys.com),
if you're heavily affected by this, then it's time to take a closer look
at your code.

Joshua Goodall wrote:

> $ whois -h whois.internic.net microsoft.com
>
> Whois Server Version 1.3
>
> Domain names in the .com, .net, and .org domains can now be registered
> with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
> for detailed information.
>
> MICROSOFT.COM.IS.SECRETLY.RUN.BY.ILLUMINATI.TERRORISTS.NET
> MICROSOFT.COM
>
> Enough said. Similar for apple.com. The web-based whois client at
> nsiregistry.com is giving correct results, as are the gtld-servers, as
> does -h networksolutions.com
>
> FreeBSD and at least one release of Linux I've tested query
> whois.internic.net by default. If anyone is using automated whois in
> production (very likely), check your results!

Virtual Development Incorporated
http://www.vdi.net
Omachonu Ogali
[email protected]
Network Engineer                                            (973)
815-2799