Re: Cheapest ethernet switch with monitor/mirror port?

  • From: Mark Milhollan
  • Date: Tue Oct 24 07:18:19 2000

Henry Yen writes:

>but the original poster seemed to be looking for a cheapie (although reliable,
>i assume, or why post the question on nanog, after all...) switch that
>he could snarf a monitor port from, and not a general recommendation for
>that capability for a mid-range or high-end switch.
>
>i think once you get down to the $800 or so range (1200cdn), there's not going
>to be much difference in what you get.

So far the HP ProCurve 4000m is looking pretty good.  A pair of
half-populated units (J4121A) is less than the price of a fully
populated one.  CDW has them for US$45.72/port.  (Due to a HP promotion
currently running.)  VLAN (802.1q), IGMP, monitor port, SNMP, stackable,
CoS stuff, &c.  GbE ports (SX, LX, and 1000Base-T) are available for it.
Some limitations, e.g., 8 MAC's per port in secure mode.

Of course we haven't really stressed them as yet, so ... YMMV, and all.

Disclaimer:  Currently a happy consumer.  No other interest, though I
think a mutual fund or two has some HP stock.