RE: Service Provider Exchange requirements

  • From: Roeland M.J. Meyer
  • Date: Mon Oct 23 13:22:46 2000

> As for jumbo frames, will someone remind me what the benefit
> of using a
> larger MTU on the edges than you have in the core is?  Is the
> edge device
> going to aggregate 6 1500-byte packets into a single
> 9000-byte jumbo frame
> for me?

It's an internal LAN system issue on the edge. In a distributed system
environment, having app servers talk to data servers, using jumbo
packets, makes for higher system throughput. The Jumbo packets should
never be seen at the border, however. In fact, the data servers
themselves should never be seen fromn the border <g>.