Re: decreased caching efficiency?

  • From: Greg A. Woods
  • Date: Sat Oct 21 11:24:52 2000

[ On Saturday, October 21, 2000 at 01:47:15 (-0400), John Fraizer wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: decreased caching efficiency?
>
> How do I make more money when someone upstream from me caches information
> from my clients webservers and subsequent requests  never make it to
> my clients servers and therefore my clients servers never reply?

Well now, since that's the core secret to making money on the WWW you
don't expect us to all blurt it out at once now, do you?  :-)

Note that caching generates savings, not profits!  However as a web
server operator who doesn't have to pay anything but understanding and
co-operation for those savings, the potential is there to turn them all
directly into profits.  It's just a matter of how you look at things and
how you understand what you're selling.  There's already been ample
discussion here about how one can use the WWW properly while still
allowing commercial accounting to take place.

Even if you don't explicitly co-operate with caches you still need to be
aware of them.  If a WWW business model doesn't take caching into
account then it damn well better not expect to reach anything even
approaching the entire Internet.  North America is probably the only
place on the Internet where caching isn't more or less a necessity, and
it's no doubt soon going to lose its status as one of the largest parts
of the Internet, if it hasn't already (which may in fact turn it into
one of the places where hierarchical caching is a necessity too!).

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <[email protected]>      <robohack!woods>
Planix, Inc. <[email protected]>; Secrets of the Weird <[email protected]>