Re: decreased caching efficiency?

  • From: William Allen Simpson
  • Date: Fri Oct 20 11:41:25 2000

Dana Hudes wrote:
> From: "William Allen Simpson" <[email protected]>
> > That seems to follow "not make any sense", but YMMV.
>
> No, you are interfering with my revenue stream by preventing my
getting credit for the banner impression.

Your bad business models are not my problem.

As I wrote before (and you didn't respond):

> > Last time I looked, there's no constitutional right that
> > guarantees that you can make money.
> >

> right. your customers pay you to get them the packets they asked for and if
> they want to visit my site and see my content and your cache breaks that,
> you're not delivering what your customers requested. My site won't deliver
> content in most of the pages without the ads displaying.

Interesting, if true.

For example, I use Netscape.  Netscape has long had the wonderful
feature that images aren't loaded, unless I hit the Images button.
Only rarely do I ever want to see images.

Don't forget Opera, iCab, and other fine browsers that automatically
filter out various styles of junk.

And all of them use a disc and/or memory cache.

So, your site won't load, and customers just go on to the next site.
Actually, that just means fewer and fewer folks will visit your site,
and fewer and fewer folks will buy your hosting.

> > Interesting, if true.  Perhaps you could provide a citation?
>
> show me where I licensed your cache to store (copy) my photographs
> or that it constitutes fair use.

You don't seem to have answered the question.

I believe that you explicitly granted the access to your material,
using DNS and BGP and by responding to the HTTP get request.  I don't
understand how I access it otherwise.

Alternatively, I cannot carry your IP packets at all.  Therefore,
at such time as you tell everyone on NANOG your network numbers
carrying your strictly licensed material, we'll be happy to filter
your BGP announcements, up to and until you explicitly give us
permission to carry them again.

> I volunteer as plaintiff if one of the lurking attorneys will volunteer to
> make some case law by suing cache using sites for copyright violation.

I'll be happy to volunteer as defendant.

William Allen Simpson
1384 Fontaine
Madison Heights  MI  48071

Although I would appreciate waiting a few months, as I already have
a case going at 6th Circuit, and I'm an expert witness in another.
I really prefer not to handle more than 1 or 2 at a time -- it's too
distracting from real life.