Re: Not so newbie BGP question...

  • From: John Fraizer
  • Date: Tue Oct 03 01:34:32 2000

Danny,

Option 2 (prefer customer routes over peer routes) seems to be the best
bet.

In this dilemma, I represent 65502 having 65501 be one of our transit
providers and 65503 being one of our transit customers.

It wouldn't bother me at all if 65501 announced 65503-direct routes on
their borders.  I'm sure it wouldn't bother 65503 either.  It does bring
about a billing problem though.

Since "regional exchange" is a layer 2 shared media fabric with
route-servers running in transparent mode, there is no way for 65501 to
bill 65502 for the "transit" they'd be providing to 65503 via the regional
exchange.

I'm not positive but, is it possible to have 65501 prefer 65502_65503
(using localpref on the 65501<->65502 transit connection) over 65503
direct routes learned via the regional exchange?

In this situation, all concerned have agreed that since 65501 is a common
transit provider, it is not expected that they pref routes TO customers or
customers of customers via the regional exchange.

In a perfect world (someone speak up if you know how to do this!) we could
do this:

Have 65501 pref regional exchange routes to 65502 and 65503 for traffic
originating inside of 65501 or from other 65501 transit customers.

Have 65501 pref the 65501<->65502 transit connection for traffic
originating from outside their AS or their transit customers.

I don't think this is really possible and certainly won't be easy if it IS
possible but, it never hurts to ask!

---
John Fraizer
EnterZone, Inc