RE: availability and resiliency

  • From: Roeland M.J. Meyer
  • Date: Sat Sep 30 17:36:55 2000

> .. and the concept of this happening on Wintel hardware
> running anything
> is sheer ludicrousy. Whoever mentioned that SMP can help you
> get high uptime
> boxes is smoking heavy crack in most cases.

I had an SMP Lintel box that had a failed PentiumPro. No one even
noticed until the next maintenance cycle. Besides, we are only talking
three nines here. Not high, by most standards and you really don't need
SMP to do it either. I once had 435 days continuous uptime on a lintel
host. Only took it down to upgrade the kernel. Then I added a bunch of
services and had to upgrade the MoBo.

BTW, if'n y'all turn Wintel into Lintel, you wind up with a pretty good
server, for cheap dollars.