Re: netscan.org update

  • From: Leo Bicknell
  • Date: Sun Sep 24 17:57:40 2000

On Sat, Sep 23, 2000 at 06:39:37PM -0700, Patrick Greenwell wrote:
> Can someone explain to me why it is ok to blindly scan other peoples
> networks without their permission for smurf amplifiers and post the
> results, while doing the same for SMTP servers has met with heavy
> criticism?

	A large part of it is probably that very few administrators
set of warning bells on a single ping, but a substantial fraction of
mail administrators get floods of e-mail warnings from the mail testing
programs, wasting their time and energy.

	When you scan properly locked down boxes in a way that fills
an admins mailbox they get testy.

--
Leo Bicknell - [email protected]
Systems Engineer - Internetworking Engineer - CCIE 3440