Re: WS-G5487 1000BaseZX GBICs

  • From: Mikael Abrahamsson
  • Date: Sun Sep 24 02:19:09 2000

On Sat, 23 Sep 2000, Rich Sena wrote:

> Does anyone have any experience with these GBICS that claim to extend the
> distance of Gigabit Ethernet over 70km on single mode fiber?

There are other GBICs that have 33dB fiber dampening "budget", they should
go even some bit further. I've used some to go 40km at least, and they
work just fine. There is nothing magical about them. The 70+ ones we've
tried with 30dB dampening "blocks", and they linked up just fine.

One warning though, they are usually overpriced. Some companies want $5000
per LX70. We found a source (a manufacturer, you have to buy 500 or 1000
per time to keep them happy) that sells them for $1000 a piece.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: [email protected]