Re: exponential route prefix growth, was: Re: The Cidr Report

  • From: John Fraizer
  • Date: Fri Sep 22 22:52:28 2000

On Fri, 22 Sep 2000, John Todd wrote:

> Take a look at:
>
> http://www.fox-den.com/routes/

Had to look at it real hard until I realized your graphs are growing to
the right vs the standard MRTG output.

> at least,) and the sudden expectation that all Internet traffic is
> mission-critical and mustmustmust always be available.  The bubble of
> hype is finally moving down the hose and causing operational issues
> such as this.

It is an operation issue for Ciscos perhaps, and sure, it increases the
time it takes to get a full view when a peering session is reset but, the
last time I checked (a week ago), gated and zebra on the PC router running
on an inexpensive pentium class machine with 256MB of memory had NO
problem whatsoever with 250K prefixes.

The Juniper M5 and M10 in bare bones configuration have 256MB and there is
a 768MB option.

IMHO, unless Cisco starts jumping through the hoops for providers, the
number of "Powered by Cisco" banners we see is going to fade quickly.

---
John Fraizer
EnterZone, Inc