RE: Root zone change -- d.gtld-servers.net

  • From: Greg A. Woods
  • Date: Wed Sep 20 01:42:20 2000

[ On Tuesday, September 19, 2000 at 19:56:45 (-0700), Randy Bush wrote: ]
> Subject: RE: Root zone change -- d.gtld-servers.net
>
> should iana post to this list every time they change servers for TZ, KE,
> UG, CA, MX, ...?

It might be interesting to see what's in the works (i.e. to see such
announcements well before they're committed to operational status) for
top-level domains in particular (since screw ups at this level affect
many domains).

However I doubt this forum is the best for such posts.  Though this
analogy probably breaks down as soon as you look at it, I'd suggest that
such posts are more akin to the old *.news.stats postings and perhaps a
separate forum specifically for such announcements would be better.

A central repository of such announcements would be nice too, but
it's hard to beat the ability of a widely read list like this one to
disseminate information in such a way that it's got some chance to be
closest to those who might need it, and perhaps to even reach their
attention before they even know they need it.

>  then again, i am repeatedly told by my
> european, alyc, african, ap, ... friends that the whole domain name noise
> is an american problem/disease and we should shut up and use the US tld.

Count at least some of us Canadians in on that side of the fence too!  ;-)
Down with .COM!  :-)

(not that .ca isn't going to be just as rabid as .com soon....  the
people that decided that subdomain registration policies need to be
geared primarily towards selling the most possible domains within a
given jurisdiction are really getting a little too carried away with
the wrong kind of business model!)

> interesting that nsi could be on the grab for that one too.

hmmm....

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <[email protected]>      <robohack!woods>
Planix, Inc. <[email protected]>; Secrets of the Weird <[email protected]>