Re: S-BGP (some operational content)

  • From: Dave McKay
  • Date: Tue Sep 19 16:08:42 2000

Have you every noticed there aren't a whole lot of major IRC servers on
cw.net?  (I said not a whole lot, not none.)  There is a reason for this,
cw.net's filtering leaves something to be desired, you can advertise almost
any AS to them and they will accept it.  This could be used for DoS quiet
easily and has been for sometime now.  Blackhole attacks.  But who wants to
advertise an entire AS?  If you peer with cw.net or most anyone for that
matter you can advertise a nice little /25 on their network creating a
blackhole for the amount of time you need it.  This is one of the most common
attacks there are.  Major backbones will give major customers full routing
and advertisements across their networks.  (I've seen it happen, and still
have it happen.)

--
Dave McKay
[email protected]