RE: problems with uunet/worldcom/whoever-they-bought-this-week

  • From: rdobbins
  • Date: Tue Sep 19 02:29:19 2000

I just spent 80 hours over four days trying to get a DS3 to uu.net fixed -
turns out the circuit goes from their POP to WorldCom, from WorldCom to MFS,
and -then- to PacBell.

Only problem is, they didn't tell me that, and so we started troubleshooting
from the far side of the PacBell end, thinking that it was PacBell all the
way through, and only finding out after 2 days what the toplogy really
looked like.  Of course, they'd just assumed that there was no way that
-their- portion of the circuit could have problems.

PacBell even replaced a module in a DACS 3, thinking -that- was the problem.

So it was a bad card or something in an MFS OC-48 mux . . . fine, MFS
replaced it.  Then they started doing intrusive testing on some OC-3 bundles
they were having problems with, of which bundles my DS3 was apparently
caught up in, so the circuit kept pogoing for another 8 hours.  Since uu.net
bought WorldCom and MFS, you'd think they'd have better coordination, no?

All that, combined with the fact that MFS and WorldCom apparently have zero
remote diags capability and will only dispatch techs when you threaten to
sue them (literally), made for a great weekend.

Roland Dobbins <[email protected]> // 818.535.5024 voice