Re: S-BGP (some operational content)

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Sat Sep 16 21:30:06 2000

On Sat, 16 September 2000, Timothy Brown wrote:
> a) Has there ever been a published man-in-the-middle attack of someone using
>    BGP to affect someone else's network?

Depends on what you mean by an "attack."  There have been numerous configuration
errors by people in the middle such as UUNET, Sprint, etc which affected other
ISPs networks for hours or days.  I wouldn't call them attacks because an
attack implies intent.  Stupidity and sloppiness could explain most of them.

Could a person with malicious intent do the same thing as the accidential
disruptions we've already seen?  Yes.  Has it happened?  I don't know the
motivations of the people involved.