Re: Confussion over multi-homing

  • From: David Lott
  • Date: Fri Sep 15 13:57:15 2000

There are problems with this approach as well.  In fact, in the last
paragraph of section 5.1 the RFC states "The approach described in this
section may produce less than the full Internet-wide connectivity in the
presence of ISPs that filter out routes based on the length of their address
prefixes."

RFC2260 essentially states how routers using BGP can be configured to detect
failure of connectivity to a particular ISP and then advertise that address
out to another ISP.  However, if the ISP that is still up filters at a /20
you still end up with the same problem.

Actually the are two issues that must be addressed by any multi-homing
solution.
1) How does someone get to me? (outside connectivity in)
2) If I use more than one address pool, how do I NAT with the correct
(meaning up) ip address (inside connectivity out)

While RFC 2260 does not solve these problems, it does lead me to think that
a solution is possible - give me a few days to work on this and I'll report
back.

--
David Lott
    VP of Operations